Sunday, January 7, 2007

The power of radio

Words: 43,897
New Words: 1,617

Yes, that's right, folks, she's started a new one (story and blog, that is). It just kind of wandered by some time in December, so I grabbed it and wrote it down. I suppose I should contemplate them both sometime soon. I also decided that a new blog sounded like a good plan, so here I am. Poems and whatnot are still up on the old site, so you can find them there if you know where there is. If not, tough luck. Or you can ask me about it. That works too.

I'm in a pretty damn reflective mood tonight, mostly owing to weird happenings on the radio. Music can do that to a girl. This afternoon, on my way to youth group, I heard, of all things, Tori Amos's Silent All These Years, which took me right back to being fourteen and stupid and emotional and meaningful. The thing I loved most about that era of my life, I think, was my total abandonment approach to music. I lived it, I drank it, I ate it, I became it. It became me. So, of course, when I got home I had to break out my old Tori cds. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have Little Earthquakes, but I do have the Winter EP, so I've been listening to that practically on repeat, feeling all the things that I thought were lost forever. The precise memories are mostly gone, but the emotions behind them come back full force with that distinctive piano melody.

I suppose I could break down and listen to Boys for Pele for a bit, but it's not the same. I remember feeling that way when the album first came out. It just wasn't the same as Little Earthquakes, the one I fell in love with around the same time I first fell in love. It's the same with the Indigo Girls. Swamp Ophelia, as pristine and impressive as it is, will never be able to compete with Rites of Passage for sheer emotional impact. Rites of Passage was a performance at TIP, holding hands with that first crush, lying on the floor in the living room with Erin for hours while we memorized the lyrics, years of hoping fruitlessly for Amy to just sing Romeo and Juliet damnit during one of the ten concerts I've seen. Swamp Ophelia is great, but Rites of Passage is woven into the fabric of my life in an indelible way. Romeo and Juliet patently changed my life, by demarcating childhood from young womanhood. If pressed, I'd probably still say it was my favorite song.

Funnily enough, even if it's my favorite song, it's not really my favorite Indigo Girls song. How ironic that it's a cover, and I really hate the original version. Language or the Kiss is my favorite Indigo Girls song, and which album is that on? Oh, that's right: Swamp Ophelia. I make no sense.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't tell anyone, but Rebecca played Romeo and Juliet on the guitar for me the day we started dating. She'd probably deny it now, and neither of us has a guitar anymore. But there it is - I always fall in love to music.

Tori was perfect for 14. I haven't listened to Little Earthquakes in a long, long time. I wonder if I can still play Winter... probably. That song became part of my molecular makeup.